Spring Cleaning - DIY cleaning products
Making a start on the spring cleaning this year?Have you ever thought about making your own cleaning products?
DIY cleaning supplies are cheap and easily available - all you really need is lemon juice, white vinegar and baking soda. *
- Lemon juice will fight against bacteria and help to remove stains
- White Vinegar will get rid of grease, dirt and mould.
- Baking soda works as a deodoriser to neutralise bad odours
Here’s a couple of ideas -
- Drains – to prevent bathroom and kitchen drains being smelly or clogged up pour ½ cup of baking soda into the plug hole, add ½ cup of white vinegar and wash away with 2 cups of boiling water.
- Microwave – to clean away the greasy splash marks put a small cup of white vinegar mixed with lemon juice into the microwave and run for 2 minutes. Leave the door closed for a few minutes more, then remove the cup and wipe away with a warm cloth or sponge.
- Mirrors and windows – to avoid streaks on glass combine 1-part white vinegar with 4-parts water and a splash of lemon juice – spray on glass and wipe with newspaper
- Toilets – to make your toilet sparkle glug in some white vinegar and baking soda, use the toilet brush to make the mixture fizz and then scrub
- Stainless steel appliances – to make your kettles, fridge/freezers or toasters shine make a paste with baking soda and water. Apply it with a damp cloth and rub gently in the direction of the metal’s grain. Rinse and buff dry.
Top tip: Recycle old towels, tea towels and/or t-shirts to use as cleaning cloths.
And for that sweet fresh smell add a splash of essential oils – not only will they help to sanitise your home but keep it smelling great too!
So, go ahead and spring clean the cobwebs away.
*These products can kill some bacteria but they’re not registered disinfectants which means they cannot kill all bacteria
At UIA we have supported Trade Union members for over 130 years by helping them find great value, high quality insurance. We hope you’ve found this blog both useful and informative whether you are a Trade Union member or not.
You could also save money on your Home Insurance. To find out more about the cover we offer speak to one of our experts today on 0800 064 8424 or get a quote online.